Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Working out and more working out!

Monday saw us starting our training plan for the Sprint Tri!
The basic Plan:
Swim 2x/week
Bike 2x/week
Run 2x/week
Strength Training 6x/week (this is really simple strength training and only takes around 10 min)

Until this 8k training program is over, I'll be doing the following:
Mon - Swim
Tues - Bike
Wed - Run
Thurs - Swim
Fri - OFF!!
Sat - Run
Sun - Bike

Monday was great because we did a couple of jogs around the Y's indoor track to warm up our muscles before doing a bit of strength training. I thought that 10 push-ups wouldn't be so bad, but DAYUM my arm muscles didn't agree with me later that night! My swim was good, but I felt like I need to keep the down time between sets shorter so I get a better workout (this was my first and I was helping D out a bit as well...and didn't exactly want to lap him for the 4th time).

And last night...strength training SHOULD NOT be done before cycling class.
I forgot how brutal cycling class can be! Not only were our butts sore from the saddle, my toes fell asleep in one leg and I thought my legs would fall off by the end. Our instructor was CRAZY hard (40 min into the hard workout when I thought we were going to cool down, he tells us to put the dial at level 7 and cycle for 15 MINUTES at the same pace...ummm...EXCUSE ME?!). But it was fantastic to see a few "real" bikers do the workout like it was a piece of cake. Will have to work on AT LEAST looking like I'm not about to die. LOL!

3 comments:

  1. okay, so i wrote a whole comment and somehow it deleted itself. so.....here we go for a second time!

    what is the strength training workout? is it something that could be done from home? i am always trying to find new ways to fitness in to my days and 10 minutes of strength training sounds very doable.

    Way to go on your workout schedule!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree cycling classes are brutal (yet so much fun at the same time??) - what an impressive workout. So jealous!

    ReplyDelete
  3. P, I posted another one for you about the strength training.

    MC, I always love the cycling classes...AFTER they are done! It had been a while since I'd taken a class, so that memory just had to come back to me. :-)

    ReplyDelete