Thursday, January 21, 2010

Strength Training

Paige posed a good question about what types of things do we do for strength training. I am one that still isn't the most comfortable in the weight room (I have enough body weight to throw around already, plus I know just enough to get myself hurt!), so I looove the idea of using my weight and gravity to work out my muscles.
These are made to be done post work-out and you do each of the groupings 3x weekly (so you're basically doing 6 days of strength training). I can't remember where I found this, probably on one of the MANY tri websites out there that I've purused over the past couple of months.

Week 1

  • 10 push-ups, 20 crunch sit ups, 10 body weight squats, and 10 lunges, each leg. Keep good form do ONE set!
  • 2 minutes jump rope, 10 steps up, 10 reverse lunges, 10 dips and 15 crunch sit ups – do ONE set!

Week 2

  • 10 push-ups, 20 crunch sit ups, 10 body weight squats, and 10 lunges, each leg. Keep good form, do TWO sets!
  • 2 minutes jump rope, 10 steps up, 10 reverse lunges, 10 dips and 15 crunch sit ups – do TWO sets!

Week 3

  • 2 SETS: 15 push-ups, 25 crunch sit ups, 15 body weight squats, and 12 lunges, each leg. Keep good form and if you feel good, do THREE sets!
  • 2 SETS: 2 minutes jump rope, 15 steps up, 12 reverse lunges, 12 dips and 20 crunch sit ups – if you feel good, do THREE sets!

Week 4

  • 2 SETS: 15 push-ups, 30 crunch sit ups, 15 body weight squats, and 15 lunges, each leg. Keep good form and if you feel good, do THREE sets!
  • 2 SETS: 3 minutes jump rope, 20 steps up, 15 reverse lunges, 15 dips and 25 crunch sit ups – if you feel good, do THREE sets!

4 comments:

  1. thanks for posting!! i so wish i could work out with you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. There are also some great classes out there for weights/strength training. I love the class I take at NCSU. I know gyms have them too. They aren't all great, but some are...and some even have instructors who know how to help you with form, etc. Classes are more fun too!

    Or, if you like working out by yourself/at home, check out http://www.crossfit.com. The workouts are pretty hardcore, but they can be adopted for beginners (even has articles and forums about that on the site.) These workouts really work and they don't require much equipment or time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good idea, J! My brother was doing crossfit (the classes, not independently) and he said they kicked butt! Maybe when I have more time to work on strength training (i.e. after this tri is over), I can really focus on that some more.

    ReplyDelete
  4. P, our best times were walking and then running together! You were always such a good champ getting me out of the house and off of my butt to get some work out (and girl time) in!
    I miss it!

    ReplyDelete