Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Ouch!

The run on Sat, bike on Sun and strenuous walk on Mon must have just been too much for my sad little knee. Most active people in my family have had to have knee surgery at one point or another. My knees have make the popping sound when I bend down ever since I was a kid. Thus, I should have guessed that it would only be a matter of time until I too had problems.

I still went for my run tonight, still ran at the front of the pack with my buddies, still did the 6:1 ratio, but I've had to ice my knee and pretty much stay off of it all night since the run.

I'm worried about taking ibuprofen (my NSAID of choice) because I was diagnosed with PCKD earlier this year. My nephrologist drew a pretty hard line where that drug is concerned. He said his daughter takes it (she has completely healthy kidneys) against his recommendation. I guess aleve is about all I'm allowed to take at this point.

This better not slow me down. I mean, I'm willing to go swimming a bunch instead of run for a bit until I recover, but I am just getting the hang of this and I don't want anything to derail it.

2 comments:

  1. Oh no!!! I hope you are better soon! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would recommend Tylenol, but I know that it doesn't do much for inflammation. Will taking ibuprofen damage your kidneys with the PCKD? That runs in my family also, but I think that it was not inherited by my dad. His mom and brother both had it.

    Try to stay positive. Even with 100% normal knees, running puts a lot of stress on your joints. You may have to swim more for a while, but you can do this!

    ReplyDelete