Monday, September 14, 2009

Concord, This Week's Schedule & Installment #2 of Jennifer's Running Tips

This past week was pretty rough on my knees. I didn't end up swimming on Friday night (or doing anything, for that matter), but I think we made up for it by biking 13.66 miles yesterday morning (in 1:17).

It was such a gorgeous day in Concord -- cool, breezy, perfect weather for riding a bike! My Dad had a route planned for us that was perfect! We started off slow and on mainly flat roads and built up to a HUGE hill (for Concordians, the Burrage Rd portion that goes under Branchview). I wouldn't let myself go down the hill as fast as the hill wanted me to (thank you, brakes!), therefore I didn't have enough momentum to make it completely back up the hill on the other side. Since we turned around at the end of Burrage and rode back the way we came, I had a 2nd opportunity to tackle the hill. I made it all the way to the top (with a little pep talk from myself)!

Sometimes talking out loud is the only way that I can get myself to the top of a hard hill, to finish a hard run, etc. My other tactic is to pick something (like a certain color tree) up ahead of me and make my mini goal just to get to that tree. Once I get there, I do it to a tree that's further up ahead, etc. etc. What sort of things do you guys use to help you?


My schedule this week
Monday - Walk for about an hour around our neighborhood (we're determined to find a different route up the HUGE hill in our neighborhood).
Tuesday - Run 3.25 miles (with the group)
Wednesday - Swim 3400 meters
Thursday - Run 3.25 miles (with the group)
Friday - Rest
Saturday - Run 3.25 miles (with the group)
Sunday - Bike 12 miles (Tobacco Trail? Black Creek Trail?)


Jennifer's Running Tips
Now that we are a few weeks into the program and your aerobic fitness is improving, you may want to start thinking about improving your “running economy.” One easy way to improve your running economy is to improve your running form. Don’t think too much about your form because overcorrecting your natural form may lead to injuries but, consider the following advice from Hal Higdon (a well known long distance runner and coach):

  • BODY: Run upright. Your back should be straight, roughly at a 90-degree angle to the ground. Ignore anybody who tells you to "lean into it," even when runn ing uphill. Also, keep those shoulders relaxed!
  • HEAD: Look straight ahead. Unless you are enjoying the scenery, your eyes should be focused straight down the road on a point moving about 10 meters in front of you. Try to run in a straight line.
  • ARMS: Swing your arms naturally. The angle at the elbow between your upper and lower arms should be about 90 degrees. Your hands should be loosely cupped, about belly level. Let your arms swing in rhythm with your legs. The legs should control armswing, not the other way around.
  • FOOTPLANT: The most natural landing is mid-foot, the ball of the foot landing first, the heel contacting the ground a fraction of a second later. The toes push off a fraction after that. Some runners land further forward, or backward, than others, based on what feels natural to them. Attempt to modify this natural gait at your own risk—Do what feels natural!

2 comments:

  1. Ali, I have to tell you that I am so proud of you for starting your new routine. It is so hard to get started, but doesn't it feel great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes it definitely does! It was so cute to have Dad excited about riding this weekend. He kept saying after the ride that he needed to get back into it and ride more than 1x year. :-)

    ReplyDelete