Thursday, October 15, 2009

Planning WAY in advance...

I do have enough self-realization to understand that if I am not actively working towards a goal, I have a tough time getting motivated. Therefore, the bet is working PERFECTLY for me! I know I have to do my runs, no questions asked...I can see that carrot at the end of the stick. I have this crazy spreadsheet that has my whole running life wrapped up in it...how many calories I've eaten/burned, where I ran, how I felt, how long it took, how many miles I've gone...and it is another way that I'm able to feel like I'm accomplishing something (not just running around in circles). Drumroll...........since July 25th, I've run 90.5 miles in 100 hrs, 45 min (doesn't include any cross-training, warm-up or cool down walks, etc.). CRAZINESS!!

Once this bet is up, I need to have something else to strive towards! Sooo....I'm pretty sure that I'm going to sign up for a Sprint Triathlon next May. I've been checking out setupevents.com and I picked the White Lake Sprint Tri because it's a Lake Swim (no more pool swims for me!) and doesn't have a bunch of hills.
http://www.setupevents.com/?fuseaction=event_detail&eventID=1167

I'll start training for this on January 4th which will give me 16 weeks to train. And since that is 11 weeks from now, I should have plenty of time to get up to the recommended (without stopping) 20 minute swim, 30 min bike, & 20 min run.
After looking through every free training program I could find, I liked this training plan the best: http://www.trifuel.com/triathlon-training/Sprint-Triathlon-Training.php

In addition, my friend that's recently started running (we'll call her "C") and I are planning on doing the Race for the Cure 5k!! I'm very excited to run with C - I'm sure she's going to be passing me by the time that June 12th, 2010 rolls around!
http://www.komennctriangle.org/race-for-the-cure/about-the-race.php

Questions: How do YOU get (and stay) motivated? Is anyone interested in joining us on the Race for the Cure or the Sprint Tri?

3 comments:

  1. There are two things holding me back from running I guess. You know I used to run!

    First is that it just hurts to run. I don't mean in a good way. My shins hurt, my feet hurt, the bones in my feet hurt, my knees hurt. I have gone to the expensive running stores where they have analyzed my feet and my strides. I spent $$ on pricey shoes that just made my feet hurt worse. So, I feel like my body won't let me run.

    Second is that it's hard to stay motivated when you are alone. If I had someone to run with, I think it would be easier.

    I suppose there is a third reason now. Given my current economic situation, I can't spend any extra money on things like running shoes/clothes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope your still getting out and running!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Missy, I definitely am!! Every other day like clock-work! :-)
    P - I completely understand...I know you've been running far longer than I could ever imagine. I just wonder if it's only hurt for you to run as an adult or did it hurt in HS? Everything used to hurt on me, but now that I started off so slow I feel GREAT when I run!!

    ReplyDelete