Thursday, November 5, 2009

Welcome to the REAL running world, Alison!

I know to some people, these generic group runs are no big deal. You just show up, run with a group that's at your same pace and just go!

I, on the other hand, thought that the Fleet Feet and Nog Runs would be SUPER scary. I didn't know what to expect, I couldn't get but so much information about the pace of the groups that were running. I just felt totally out of my element and I don't like to jump in without at least preparing mentally for what I have ahead of me.

Well last Thursday was my foray into the BIG GIRL GROUP RUNS (aka Fleet Feet Fun Run)! Not to say that running with the NCRR Women's group wasn't extremely hard and sometimes a little scary...it's just...well, most of the people that show up to these things are, like, REAL runners!
It's funny to say this, because while I am new to running and run with a bunch of FABULOUS women on a regular basis, I still feel like someone's going to pull the rug out from under me and say "You ladies just need to stop pretending like you're real runners! The gig is up!"

I know that alot of people I've read about have felt this same way. I don't have a "Runnner's Body" (not yet, anyway!) and I DO still do intervals (anywhere from 5:1 up to 9:1, depending on who I'm running with), but I am a runner!

Anyway, we're planning on doing the Fleet Feet Fun Run again tonight and then we're going to try the Nog Run for the first time next Monday! I'm super excited!!

3 comments:

  1. I know what you mean when you say you don't feel like a runner - but yep, you are a runner! You have been doing great and I wish I lived closer to you so I could run with you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alison - I feel so much the same way. But I also feel lucky to have you among the people I regularly run with. Running with you, with your wonderful, upbeat and motivating spirit help me feel more like a "real runner." Hope I can do the same for you. Keep it up!

    From one "real runner" to another,
    Roni
    :-)
    PS - I really enjoy reading your posts!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are a real runner.... much more of a real runner than I ever will be! And... just reading your blog makes me want to get out there and try it... but that will have to wait another 5 or 6 months!

    ReplyDelete